Sunday, March 28, 2010

ceramics, kristin morgin and a reference.


Kristin Morgin's ceramic sculptures and installations are all made from unfired ceramic (clay).  After reading about her work in the latest issue of Sculpture magazine,  I am utterly amazed at the combined elements of delicacy and scale in her work.  She carves, moulds, burnishes and paints her surfaces, making them photo-realistic sculptures of antiques and decay.  Stunningly, she leaves her clay body in its unfired greenware state.  I am slowly making my way into the world of ceramics and starting to appreciate all the varieties of surface and treatments there are.  I used to be afraid of clay because of its ability to move so readily under the artist's fingers; metal provided me with more resistance which my brain seems to understand.  I have recently begun to realize that I don't need to be afraid of this material but rather understand the variety of ways of working with it and start to hone in on my own aesthetic.


500 Ceramic Sculptures: Contemporary Practice, Singular Works (500 Series)

No comments:

Post a Comment